The site of a tragic and deadly accident at a quarry in central New York has become a popular destination for legend trippers and outdoor enthusiasts.
- The Solvay Process Company built Split Rock Quarry to mine limestone west of Syracuse in the 1880s.
- A massive explosion at the quarry in 1918 killed upwards of 50 workers.
- Since the accident, some visitors have reported strange encounters in the abandoned quarry at night.
On July 2, 1918, a terrible explosion at a munitions factory outside Syracuse, New York claimed the lives of more than 50 workers, injuring dozens more. 15 men were incinerated beyond recognition and over 20 reported missing and presumed dead. Today, Split Rock Quarry is largely abandoned, taken over by hikers, urban explorers, curiosity seekers, and partiers.
Evidence of late night excursions abound, and some of these nocturnal visitors have brought back stories of strange sights and sounds around the old rock crusher. Dark, graffiti covered tunnels excite the imagination. This sinister reputation led the site to be featured on the Travel Channel’s Destination Fear in October 2012.
Subscribe to get access
Read more of this content when you subscribe today.