A roadside sign is all that reminds us of that time the British savagely burned the towns of Buffalo and Black Rock, New York to the ground.
Click to expand photos
The Battle of Black Rock was fought on December 30, 1813 between British forces commanded by Major General Phineas Riall and American militia commanded by Major General Amos Hall in the present day city of Buffalo, New York along the Niagara River during the War of 1812. The engagement was a decisive British victory, resulting in the burning of Black Rock and Buffalo.
On December 10, 1813, Brigadier General George McClure decided to abandon Fort George on the eastern bank of the Niagara River, which the United States had captured in May. His troops burned the nearby village of Newark to the ground before retreating across the river. The British wasted little time in retaliating, and they captured Fort Niagara by surprise on December 18th.
Maj. Gen. Phineas Riall then floated 600 British regulars, 50 Canadian militia, and 400 American Indian allies to a landing site two miles downstream from Black Rock. Lt. Col. John Gordon and 370 men from the Royal Scots Regiment landed at Black Rock. Opposing them was Maj. Gen. Amos Hall and approximately 2,000 New York militiamen.
Designed by Major David Bates Douglass and established in 1841, Albany Rural Cemetery, on Cemetery Avenue off NY State Route 32, in Menands, Albany County, New York, is a 467-acre National Historic Landmark and the final resting place for over 135,000 people. According to the Times-Union, 55 Albany mayors, five New York governors, 34 congressmen, eight presidential cabinet members, and one president, Chester Alan Arthur, are buried here. You can easily spend days exploring the grounds.
Monument to President Chester A. Arthur (1829-1886). Arthur, then vice president, became the 21st President of the United States in 1881 after President James A. Garfield succumbed to complications stemming from an assassin’s bullet. Generally forgotten today among the pantheon of presidents, Arthur competently led the country through an uneventful 4-year term.
Diners often change names, ownership, and locations, and this 1958 Silk City, #5808, at 523 Main Street in Canastota, New York, is no exception. According to Roadsidearch.com, this used to be called the Pelican Diner and was located in North Syracuse. It then moved to Canastota and became known as the Canastota Dinerant. After that, it was Anne Marie’s Family Diner, which closed in 2007. According to the Oneida Daily Dispatch, Dick and Roberta Taubman came out of retirement to open Dick and Bert’s Hometown Diner in 2009. In 2015, Rollin and Kim Reed bought it and opened The Raider Grill & Griddle, but closed after only two years.