Social media companies are increasingly coming under fire for arbitrary and alarming censorship.
I’ve written in the past about my love-hate relationship with social media, and why I’ve chosen to delete my Twitter and Facebook accounts. Now a huge company and social movement, CrossFit, is joining the exodus. CrossFit describes itself as a fitness movement that promotes an alternative to mainstream convention when it comes to health. After Facebook suspended one of its groups (with 1.65 million users) without explanation, CrossFit decided to ditch Facebook entirely. Who could blame them?
On their website, they listed eight reasons why Facebook has become a terrible company, including:
- Facebook collects and aggregates user information and shares it with state and federal authorities, as well as security organizations from other countries.
- Facebook collaborates with government security agencies on massive citizen surveillance programs such as PRISM.
- Facebook censors and removes user accounts based on unknown criteria and at the request of third parties including government and foreign government agencies.
- Facebook collects, aggregates, and sells user information as a matter of business. Its business model allows governments and businesses alike to use its algorithmically conjured advertising categories as sophisticated data-mining and surveillance tools.
- Facebook’s news feeds are censored and crafted to reflect the political leanings of Facebook’s utopian socialists while remaining vulnerable to misinformation campaigns designed to stir up violence and prejudice.
I don’t agree with CrossFit’s criticism of modern nutritional science, but that’s ok because we live in a free country where discussion and debate over ideas and alternatives should be commonplace. Censorship has been tried many times in the past, and it never works in the long term. When ideas are labeled “dangerous” and “subversive,” people naturally want to seek them out to see what all the fuss is about. It has the opposite effect of what the censors intend.Continue reading “CrossFit Abandons Facebook”